Dr. Schuessler was a Homeopathic Doctor in the 19th Century
Wilhelm Schuessler was born in Zwischenahn in Oldenburg, Germany in 1821.
He studied medicine at the Universities of Berlin, Paris, Giessen, and Prague, obtaining his M.D. after two-and-a-half years. He started his practice as a homoeopathic doctor in Oldenburg, Germany.
Two scientists of his time had shown him the path for exploration. They are:
- Rudolf Virchow, Founder of Cellular Pathology, taught all diseases are based upon a change in function or condition of cells in the body. The possibility of stimulating these cells back into balance was the starting point of Schuessler's Biochemic Theory.
- Jacob Moleschott, Physiologist and Philosopher, pointed out that "the structure and vitality of the organs depended upon the presence of the inorganic constituents".
Dr. Schuessler added his doctrine: "Restoration of the cell, and thereby of the body, will result from restoration of the deficit of the inorganic salts."
Main Principles of Dr. Schuessler’s Biochemic Theory:
- The human body contains twelve essential mineral salts. A correct balance of them is necessary for normal cell function and for maintaining health in the body.
- If the balance of mineral salts is disturbed, abnormal functioning and possible disease in the body follows.
- A normal balance can be restored by administering the deficient mineral salts in a readily assimilated form. Dr. Schuessler found the most efficient way to do this was through a homeopathically prepared micro dose which enters our cells rapidly via the bloodstream.
How Schuessler's Biochemic Theory Relates to Homeopathy
Schuessler's theory is an offshoot of homeopathy. The 12 tissue cell salts used are homeopathic medicines first and foremost. They are used in a potentised form (usually in 6x potency) to aid absorption and help address imbalances in the tissues and cells of the body. Tissue cell salts can be viewed as the supplements of homeopathic medicine, supporting the body's physiological processes and helping to restore vitality.
Homeopathic philosophy, while concerned with the physical level, also takes a whole-istic view of the body, taking into account symptoms and features of the emotional and mental levels when determining a homeopathic remedy.
Constitutional prescribing and tissue cell salts are very complementary and are safe to use together. While the constitutional homeopathic remedy acts deeper to address root imbalances, cell salts can be taken to help support its action and address surface imbalances.